As we grow older, our skin loses its elasticity. Loss of elasticity is the primary cause of sagging skin. Facial massage for skin tightening, with the help of a facial massage cream or face oil, is the easiest and best remedy for sagging skin, as it helps restore its elasticity by strengthening the tissues of the face. It encourages facial skin to repair itself and speeds up this process too.</p?
In this article, we will answer some of the most commonly asked questions about facial massage for skin tightening.
Does facial massage help sagging skin?
As mentioned above, skin starts sagging due to a loss of elasticity. To restore elasticity, facial massage for skin tightening is very important, especially with products that contain nourishing natural ingredients such as almond oil, pomegranate seed oil, mango butter, ghee, kokum butter, and other nourishing essential & carrier oils. Facial massage ensures that these ingredients are completely absorbed by the skin. It also boosts blood circulation, which speeds up the process of tissue repair.
For women aged over 40, it is important to do a facial massage at least once a month. Ideal would be twice a month. Doing it more frequently can lead to skin damage. After 40, skin tends to become less oily and more dry. Due to increase in dryness, it tends to develop lines, wrinkles, and starts sagging, especially near the eyes and jawline. The choice of an ideal face/body oil is very important for an effective facial massage for skin tightening. As mentioned above, the following ingredients work wonders for preventing as well as improving sagging skin and other signs of ageing:
1) Almond oil
Almond oil is rich in vitamins E and A as well as fatty acids. These nutrients work wonders on dry & dehydrated skin as well as have a bleaching effect on the skin. Skin tends to lighten with the regular use of almond oil. Also, it contains retinoids that improve cell turnover, reverse sun damage, and cure acne.
2) Pomegranate seed oil
Pomegranate seed oil encourages the growth of keratinocytes, which are the major cells present in the skin's outermost layer. Moreover, it does away wiht free radicals, thus delaying ageing. In addition, it protects & heals the skin from sun damage, provides relief from discomfort caused by skin diseases such as eczema & psoriasis, and speeds up the reconstruction of the skin post wound healing.
Since times immemorial, ghee has been used as a skin care ingredient. Ghee contains all the essential fatty acids, due to which it is excellent for skin hydration, thus keeping signs of ageing at bay. Also, ghee bonds easily with other herbs and nutrients and penetrates the deepest layers of the skin. Most importantly, ghee is a natural SPF by itself. It provides a protective layer over the skin that not only protects from sun damage, but also damage from other environmental factors such as pollution, dust, etc.
4) Kokum butter
Kokum butter is an excellent emollient. It possesses natural healing properties and its composition promotes the regeneration of skin. Traditionally, it is known to prevent skin dryness. It is an excellent antioxidant. It softens the skin and restores elasticity.
5) Mango butter
Mango butter has a remarkable light & non-greasy texture, due to which it gets easily absorbed into the skin. Despite being non-greasy, it is highly moisturizing and creamy. Moreover, it is non-comedogenic, i.e., it doesn't clog pores. It contains various antioxidants & essential fatty acids which make it a miracle anti-ageing ingredient. Vitamin C in mango butter brightens the skin, and Vitamin A boosts the skin's youthful appearance by reducing fine lines.
How to do facial massage?
For an effective facial massage for skin tightening, you need to massage the facial skin with the right movement as well as the right pressure. Incorrectly done massage can cause more damage than good. In case you don't wish to hire a massage therapist or beautician to do your facial massage, you can do it yourself at home using the following technique:
- Begin by washing the face thoroughly with a face wash or cleanser suited to your skin type. Use warm water. Pat dry.
- Next, gently apply a body massage oil/face oil or face cream that contains either one or a blend of the natural ingredients mentioned above. The massage will ensure the deep penetration of these ingredients into your skin. Also, it will enable the smooth movement of your fingers on the face without an friction, thus preventing any skin irritation.
- With the help of both of your index fingers facing each other, gently rub your forehead horizontally in both directions. Also cover the area between the eyebrows. This will relax the tension of the forehead muscles and prevent the formation of fine lines on the forehead as well as between the eyebrows.
- Next, place the index fingers between the eyebrows and move both fingers in a semi-circular motion above the eyebrows and towards the temples. Follow this movement back and forth for at least one minute.
- Next, starting from the temples, use the index fingers of both hands to move the skin on the entire forehead in a circular motion clockwise and anticlockwise. This relaxes the forehead and reduces stress & headaches.
- Using the tips of the first two fingers of both hands, massage the cheeks starting from the portion near the sides of the lips upwards in circular clockwise & anticlockwise motions. This will ensure the deep penetration of the face oil/cream.
- For the nose, using both index fingers, gently press and massage the sides of the nose in upward and downward movements.
- With your thumbs, starting from the forehead down to your chin, massage your skin in circular motions clockwise & anti-clockwise. This movement helps boost the production of elastin and collagen, which prevents as well as cures sagging skin.
- Next, place your knuckles under the chin and gently move them upwards to gently lift up the cheeks towards the ears. Do this a few times focusing on the upward movement.
- After repeating the above movement a few times, use the first 3 fingers instead of the knuckles and repeat the same movement a few times.
- With your fingertips, make circular movements in both directions on both sides of the lips.
- With your index fingers, massage the smile lines of your mouth upwards towards the bridge of the nose.
- With your knuckles, move upwards starting from your smile lines towards your cheek bones. Hold the pressure at your cheekbones for a few seconds, and then move your knuckles from the cheekbones towards your ears. Repeat this a few times.
- For the eye area, massage the under area gently starting from the inner corners of the eyes towards the crow's feet area. Follow this direction only. Repeat.
- Finally, using the rounded part at the bottom of your palm, or the heel of the hand, gently massage the face starting from the sides of the mouth upwards towards the temples. Continue downwards from the sides of the face towards the neck, then around the collarbone. Repeat this movement a couple of times.
How do you do face massage to reduce wrinkles?
Doing a facial massage for skin tightening is much easier and much more convenient as compared to invasive methods for the same. These methods are very expensive and can also be very painful. To reduce wrinkles, give yourself a facial massage by following the above-mentioned steps. Along with facial massage once a week, you will also need to do facial exercises. You can find videos of the same on YouTube and other social media channels.
Facial massage offers a wide variety of benefits in terms of boosting the overall health of the skin. It makes the skin glow. It tightens the facial muscles, stimulates blood flow, plumps the skin, reduces puffiness under the eyes, and detoxifies the skin. Last but not the least, if done at home, it is free :)
Do comment below if you found these tips useful. Also, let us know if you have any questions and/or suggestions. We love hearing from you :)