Do It Yourself (DIY) face & body packs and hair care remedies with orange peel powder have been handed down from generations in India and around the world! Orange peel powder has been a vital beauty ingredient because of its innumerable therapeutic properties when it comes to maintaining beauty and health, especially its ability to lighten the skin.Oranges are among the richest sources of Vitamin C, a vital vitamin that boosts our immune system, thus preventing common illnesses such as colds & coughs in particular. In addition, it is a secret for beautiful skin! However, a lesser known fact is that the peel of an orange contains far more minerals, a higher concentration of Vitamin C, and other nutrients as compared to the fruit itself.
Few Benefits of Orange Peel Powder
- Rich in Vitamin C, which is an anti-ageing ingredient that facilitates the formation of collagen and elastin - the two main fibers that support the skin structure.
- Reduces skin oiliness by shrinking the pores.
- Acts as gentle exfoliators that unclog pores and treat blackheads & acne.
- Reduces pimple marks, pigmentation, and discoloration of the skin.
- Lightens skin tone.
- Natural toner, face scrub, moisturizing agent, and cleanser.
- Whitens teeth
- Helps treat dandruff
- Makes hair smooth and shiny
- Reduces skin inflammation
In this article, we will share with you some DIY skin care, hair care, and other beauty recipes using orange peel powder as the main ingredient. But before we start, it is important to use the right technique to prepare this ingredient.
Orange Peel Powder Recipe
- Whenever you or your family eat an orange, collect its peel.
- Dry these orange peels under the sun for 2-3 days.
- When they lose their moisture completely and become very dry, they are ready for grinding into powder.
- Remove orange seeds, if any, and add them to a dry mixer jar. Grind them into a fine powder. Make sure that the jar is completely dry, as any moisture can spoil the powder once it is stored.
- Store them in an airtight glass jar, and use a dry spoon to scoop out some powder as and when needed.
Orange Peel Powder for Healthy & Flawless Skin
- Honey Mask
In a bowl, combine 1 tbsp. of orange peel powder with 1 tbsp. of honey and add a pinch of turmeric. Apply evenly on your face and neck, and wash off after 20 minutes.
- Rose Water Mask
In a bowl, combine 1 tbsp. of orange peel powder, 1 tsp. of multani mitti, and enough rose water to form a smooth paste. Apply evenly on your face and neck and wash off once it is completely dry.
- Yogurt Mask
In a bowl, combine equal quantities of orange peel powder and yogurt. Apply on the face and neck, and wash off after 15 minutes with lukewarm water.
- Sandalwood Mask
Combine 1 tsp. orange peel powder with 1/2 tsp. of sandalwood powder and 1 tsp. multani mitti. Add rose water to this mixture to form a smooth paste. This is the ultimate combination of ingredients for rejuvenated, clear, and soft skin! These ingredients work wonders for treating acne, pigmentation, blackheads, & oily skin, and the weekly application of this face pack will even out your skin tone.
Orange Peel Powder for Healthy Hair
Mix the following hair masks depending upon the length and thickness of your hair. Do not use them more than once a week to achieve the desired results.
- Olive Oil Hair Conditioning Mask
Mix equal quantities of orange peel powder with olive oil, and add the juice of half a lemon. Apply it on the scalp as well as on the length of your hair, and focus on the ends. Cover your hair with a shower cap and wash off with a mild shampoo after 2 hours.
- Anti-Dandruff Hair Mask
Mix equal quantities of orange peel powder and yoghurt. Massage this mixture on the scalp in circular movements. Leave it on till it dries completely. Wash it off with a mild shampoo and lukewarm water.
Orange Peel Powder Body Scrub
- Mix 3 tbsp. of besan (gram flour), 2 tbsp. of orange peel powder, and a pinch of turmeric. Add water to form a thick paste. Wet body with lukewarm body and apply it all over, scrubbing gently in circular movements. Wash off and pat dry.
- In the above recipe, you can replace besan with the flour of red lentil (masoor dal) to increase the exfoliation/scrubbing effect, and use ambe haldi instead of regular turmeric for fairness.
Orange Peel Powder for Teeth Whitening
- Mix the required quantity of orange peel powder with a little water to form a thick paste. Apply this paste on your teeth and rub it gently with your fingers for a few minutes. Gargle your mouth thoroughly. Do not use this remedy more than once a week, as the astringent effect of this powder can be erosive if overused.
These are some of the amazing DIY uses of orange peel powder for enhancing your beauty! Go ahead and pamper yourself in these troubled times, and do share your experiences with us :)