In the wake of the outbreak of Coronavirus, we are constantly being asked to follow several necessary hygiene practices, such as washing/sanitizing our hands, staying at home as much as possible, avoiding public places & large crowd gatherings and so on. Also, there is widespread panic due to the ever-increasing numbers of those infected, those who are critically ill, fatalities, etc. We see nearly empty roads and people wearing masks. Tension is rising with every passing day, and we keep wondering what we can do to protect ourselves and our families.
For starters, we must follow all possible hygiene practices without a doubt - and insist that our family members do so as well. And, it is equally important that we strengthen our immune system.
For centuries, it has been a common practice among several Indian families to consume a homemade kaadha during winters, monsoons, as well as during the change of seasons to boost the immunity of all family members, as the likelihood of developing colds, coughs, and other infections during these periods is high.
In this article, we are sharing a simple yet highly effective kaadha recipe with you, which can be consumed by people of all ages, including children. It is one of the precautions you can take, along with your family, in preparation of this pandemic.
The ingredients of this kaadha are as follows:
1) 7-8 Tulsi leaves
2) 7-8 1-inch pieces of lemongrass
(add 3 leaves of guava in case of cough)
3) 6-7 cloves
4) 2 1-inch pieces of cinnamon
5) 7-8 black peppers
6) 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
7) 1-2 teaspoons turmeric powder
8) 1 teaspoon dry ginger powder or 1-inch ginger
9) 1 teaspoon jesthamadh (liquorice) powder
10) 1 teaspoon sitopaladi churna (can be procured at any medical store)
11) 4 teacups of water
Soak all of the above-mentioned ingredients together in water sometime. After that, boil this mixture in 4 teacups of water until it reduces to 3 teacups. Now, it is ready for consumption.
To enhance its taste, you can add some jaggery and/or a little milk, which will make it palatable for children. Consume this mixture every night before bedtime for a minimum of 4 days at a stretch.
Some of the benefits of the ingredients of this kaadha are:
1) Tulsi is anti-bacterial as well as anti-viral.
2) Turmeric (haldi) is anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-septic, and an effective immunity builder.
3) Jeshthamadh, sitopaladi churna, and guava leaf are very effective against coughs and very soothing in case of sore throat.
4) Sitopaladi provides relief from phlegm or mucus resulting from cough, and ensures that it is excreted from the body.
Traditional recipes, such as the one mentioned above, have been used in India since centuries. Now, the time has come to embrace them again! Do let us know how you found this recipe, as well as share with us any recipes you practice. Especially those passed down to you by your grandparents' generation! We would love to hear from you :)